Located to the north of Kowloon and the south of Tai Po, Sha Tin District has an area of 69.27 sq km and a population of about 692 800.
Since the Ming Dynasty (1368 - 1644), Sha Tin District has been inhabited by settlers. Early settlers mostly engaged in farming and fishing. In the 1970s, a large-scale new town development project was launched in the district. Alongside the completion of a number of major public and private housing developments, tunnels linking up Sha Tin, Kowloon and New Territories West, and a highway leading to northern New Territories have been put into operation over the years. Nowadays, Sha Tin District has evolved into a well-equipped new town and a crucial transport hub connecting the New Territories and urban areas.
Sha Tin District also has many famous attractions, including Sha Tin Che Kung Temple, Amah Rock (also known as Mong Fu Shek), Tsang Tai Uk, Ten Thousand Buddhas Monastery (also known as Man Fat Tsz) and Shing Mun River. The well-connected cycling tracks linking Tai Po have made Sha Tin District a popular place for cycling. What’s more, New Town Plaza, Snoopy’s World, Sha Tin Park and Hong Kong Heritage Museum are also worth a visit.
The information provided in this website is for reference only, and is subject to change in accordance with the announcement of relevant Departments or organisations. The Government does not make any express or implied warranty as to the accuracy, adequacy, reliability or timeliness in relation to such contents, and will not be liable for any errors in, or omissions from any such information.