Yuen Long District
Lok Ma Chau Garden (Lok Ma Chau Lookout)
In the 1970s, it was hardly possible for westerners to visit Mainland China. With its close proximity to China, Lok Ma Chau has thus become a famous tourist destination. At the lookout at Lok Ma Chau, one can view the vast farmland near the Shenzhen River and the Shenzhen Special Economic Zone.
Tai Fu Tai
Tai Fu Tai was built in 1865 in the Qing Dynasty. It is a richly decorated residence surrounded by a green-brick wall with spacious front and back yards. It is a typical traditional dwelling of the scholar-gentry class in southern China and it is one of the most elegant historical buildings in Hong Kong.
The Mai Po Nature Reserve
The Mai Po Marshes, bordering Deep Bay in the northwest New Territories, was declared as a "Site of Special Scientific Interest" in 1976 by the Hong Kong Government, which shows its importance. To ensure proper management, the World Wildlife Fund Hong Kong (WWF-Hong Kong) was entrusted with the responsibility of developing and managing the area in 1984. A pontoon bridge and a walking trail are built in Mai Po to facilitate visitors to enjoy the natural landscape.
Mai Po is an area where migrating birds rest after long and difficult journeys. Spring and autumn are the best seasons for bird watching as some 20,000 to 30,000 shorebirds, including species such as the threatened Spoon-billed Sandpiper, Spotted Greenshank and Asiatic Dowitcher, stop over in Deep Bay during migration. Gei-wais and mangroves are also the distinctive features of Mai Po. The fallen leaves of mangroves, grown along the coastal area, serve as the main source of food for fish, shrimps and crabs. Gei-wais are shallow, inter-tidal prawn ponds. The season runs from April to October every year.
Remarks: The Mai Po Nature Reserve is a restricted area in order to minimize disturbance to the habitat. To visit the Reserve, visitors are required to hold a valid "Mai Po Marshes Entry Permit" issued by the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department or may join the public guided tours organized by WWF-Hong Kong.
Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department
Tel: 2708 8885
WWF - Hong Kong
Tel: 2708 8885
Reunification Memorial Pillar at Pat Heung
The pillar is situated in Sheung Tsuen Park and was built by the Pat Heung Rural Committee to commemorate the reunification of Hong Kong with China on 1 July 1997.
Pat Heung Old Temple
Pat Heung Old Temple, located at Pak Heung Sheung Tsuen, has always been a symbol of glory and dignity to Pat Heung indigenous villagers. Built over 200 years ago, it has been a sacred place to hold the most important annual events - Spring and Autumn worship to God and ancestors and the celebration of the birth of Kwun Yam. During these events, hundreds of banquet tables serving "Heritage Bowl" or vegetarian food are arranged in the wide and open space in front of the Temple.
To the west of Lau Fau Shan is Pak Nai (covering Sheung Pak Nai and Ha Pak Nai). Facing Deep Bay, Pak Nai commands a magnificent outlook, covering the distant Shekou in the Mainland. Its enchanting sunset view makes it a hot spot for shutterbugs.
Kam Tin Tree House
It is said that the building might be a study hall of a clan member of the Tangs in Kam Tin. When the imperial edict on coastal evacuation was imposed in the first year of Kangxi era of Qing Dynasty (1662), the owner left Kam Tin and never returned. The building therefore fell into ruins. Another legend has it that the building was a temple worshipping Tin Hau (Goddess of the Sea). The temple was subsequently collapsed. Later, the banyan tree next to the building grew bigger and enveloped it completely.
Kat Hing Wai
Kat Hing Wai is a historic walled village built during the Ch'ing-hua period (1465-87) of the Ming Dynasty. The village is in the shape of a square completely surrounded by brick walls erected to protect villagers against thieves. Inside the village, there is a small temple dedicated to fifteen deities. Kat Hing Wai is best known for the "Iron Gates Incident" which happened in 1899. When the British tried to take over the New Territories, the villagers resisted and after several battles, withdrew behind the iron gates to hold out against the British. In the spring of 1899, the British prevailed and entered Kat Hing Wai. They removed the gates and the Governor at that time shipped them to Ireland as booty.
In 1924, Tang Pak-kau, a Tang clan's senior, petitioned to British through the Hong Kong government for the return of the gates to Kam Tin, Yuen Long. As a gesture of goodwill, the Hong Kong government obtained Britain's approval to return the gates. On 26 May 1925, Governor Stubbs hosted the returning ceremony at Kam Tin.
Tai Shu Ha Tin Hau Temple
The Tai Shu Ha Tin Hau Temple, located at Tai Kei Leng of Shap Pat Heung, was built about 300 years ago. It got its name from being a Tin Hau Temple under a tree. The Temple's main hall is dedicated to Tin Hau while the hall on the right to Man Tai, the Civil God of Literacy and Mo Tai, the Martial God. The left hall is Ying Yung Tze, which is dedicated for worshipping martyrs of the 1899 clashes when the British were trying to take over the New Territories.
On the 23rd day of the third lunar month -the Tin Hau Festival, there are extravagant celebrations both inside and outside the Temple. The villagers put on colourful parades, including lion, dragon and unicorn dances on the streets in Yuen Long and all the way to the Temple. The celebrations in Yuen Long are amongst the most elaborate and colourful Tin Hau Festival celebrations in Hong Kong.
Ping Shan Heritage Trail
The Ping Shan Heritage Trail is the first of its kind in Hong Kong. Ping Shan is one of the oldest districts in Hong Kong. The Tang clan, one of the "Five Great Clans" in the New Territories, has been living in the area since the 12th century. Many grandiose structures built in those days still remain today, witnessing historical and social developments over the years.
The Heritage Trail, meandering through Hang Mei Tsuen, Hang Tau Tsuen and Sheung Cheung Wai, is about 1 kilometre long. It links up a number of traditional Chinese structures within easy walking distance. Unique monuments along the Trail include the Tang's Ancestral Hall (Hong Kong's largest ancestral hall), Tsui Shing Lau (Hong Kong's only traditional pagoda), Sheung Cheung Wai, the Kun Ting Study Hall, the Hung Shing Temple and the Yeung Hau Temple and several other traditional constructions.
The Tang's Ancestral Hall, situated at the junction of Hang Tau Tsuen and Hang Mei Tsuen of Ping Shan, was constructed in 1273 AD (9th year of Xian Chun of the South Sung Dynasty) by Tang Fung-shun, a member of the 5th generation and was repaired in the early years of the reign of Emperor Kang-hsi. The construction comprises three halls separated by two courtyards. The roof ridge is decorated with Shiwan ceramic figurines, while the beams are decorated with animals and auspicious motifs. The major characteristic of this clan hall is the absence of a threshold at the main entrance and the red sandstone pathway in the front yard, suggesting that the Tang clan had been high-ranking imperial officials. The clan hall used to be the site of the Tat Tak School accommodating several hundred students.
Tsui Shing Lau is the only traditional pagoda standing in Hong Kong. It was built around 1486 AD by Tang Yin-tung, a member of the 7th generation of the Tang clan. The 3-storey 10-metre-high hexagonal pagoda is constructed of green brick and granite. It was originally 7-storey, but the upper four floors were eroded by thunderstorms and had collapsed. Situated to the north of Sheung Cheung Wai and facing Deep Bay, it is believed that it can prevent floodwater from washing away the village's good fortunes. Moreover, one of the deities to whom the pagoda was dedicated, the God of Literature, is believed to have brought good luck to students of the clan in traditional Chinese examinations.
Tel: 2617 1959
Tin Shui Wai New Town
Tin Shui Wai, the eighth new town in Hong Kong, consists of two zones: area in south of Tin Wah Road and area in north of Tin Wah Road. The two zones are mainly occupied by public housing estates and with some Home Ownership flats and small number of private residential premises. The first batch of intakes started in April 1992. The population of the town is about 270,000 and is expected to be more following the completion of more and more residential premises.
With its theme from its Chinese name "Town of Sky and Water", the design of the new town focuses on a feeling of spaciousness given by the sky and water, which is enhanced by the District Park's water features. Tin Shui Wai has mainly developed as a residential area with self-sufficient commercial, community, recreational and other facilities. A number of shopping malls providing all kinds of commodities are located in Tin Shui Wai's private and public residential area.
In the town centre of Tin Shui Wai, there is a large-scale multi-storey indoor shopping mall with facilities like supermarkets, cinemas, recreation and beauty centres, children's play areas and restaurants, which is a good choice for leisure during holidays. Moreover, the only international standard hotel in Yuen Long with guest rooms and deluxe rooms is also located in this shopping mall.
Lau Fau Shan
Lau Fau Shan is famous for its oyster farming and the oyster beds along the shoreline area covering around 3,000 hectares. It is also a popular location for eating seafood. On the main street, a number of seafood stalls offer an enormous range of live seafood and shellfish ready for cooking and serving in the seafood restaurants nearby.
Nam Sang Wai
Visitors would surely be captured by the enchanting and serene scene of Nam San Wai. At low tide, the area between Shan Pui River and Kam Tin River becomes the feeding ground of birds. When going further, a luxurious growth of reeds and mangroves could be seen. It is only here at Shan Pui River that you can cross a river by sampan. In Nam Sang Wai, hundreds of birds are attracted to roost here and many visitors come here for taking photo purposely.
Yuen Long Old Market
Situated between Sai Bin Wai and Nam Bin Wai, Yuen Long Old Market was established in the Qing Dynasty. The market used to be a thriving commercial centre humming with business activities. It consisted of three long streets, Cheung Shing, Lee Yick and Wine Streets, all lined with shops of various trades. There are historical buildings in the market, including the "Tsun Yuen Pawnshop", which was founded some 200 years ago and probably the first pawnshop in the Hong Kong region.
Man Tin Cheung Park
The Park commemorates Man Tin Cheung, a famous general of the Southern Sung Dynasty. The six-feet tall statue of Man Tin Cheung, together with the stele carving the important events in the life of the general, has become the landmark in the vicinity. The famous poetry "Zhengqige" written by Man Tin Cheung during his imprisonment is also inscribed on the stele for the reading of visitors.
Hong Kong Wetland Park
The Hong Kong Wetland Park, located in the northeast of Tin Shui Wai, includes a Wetland Reserve exceeding 60-hectare and a visitor centre of 1,000 square metres. There are three exhibition galleries each with its own theme, theatre, souvenir shop, wetland café, swamp adventure and splash time, classroom, resource centre, etc. The Wetland Reserve is constructed wetlands and habitats for waterfowls. There are also other facilities like stream walks, boardwalks and bird hides.
Tel: 3152 2666 (General enquiries), 2617 5218 (Ticketing)
Tsim Bei Tsui
Tsim Bei Tsui, bordering Deep Bay and Shenzhen River in the northwest New Territories. You can see the views of Mai Po toward the eastern part and see the views of Deep Bay and Shenzhen toward the western part. There is also a lot of mangroves grow. There, we can find Deep Bay, a vast bay shaped by sediments washed down Shenzhen River. When the tide is low, Deep Bay is transformed into expansive mudflats where different species of wetland animals feed and breed.
Yuen Long Town (Yau San Street)
Comprising a wide range of cuisine, the Yuen Long town centre (Yau San Street) fascinates the visitors as the 'multi-cultural eateries'. From the high quality Italian cuisine, Nepalese food, famous traditional Chinese cake, new-style Japanese food, Portuguese barbecue, Indian restaurants, south-east Asia cuisine to the territory-wide known desserts, you can always find what you want here.
Yi Tai Study Hall
Yi Tai Study Hall (Two Emperors Study Hall), located in Shui Tau Tsuen of Kam Tin, was built in 1840. Its architectural designs are particularly interesting. The doorways of side chambers are moon-shaped openings. The gable walls are adorned by plaster mouldings of plants and birds while the ceramic window lattices feature big coin patterns and irregular geometric patterns.
The lane running across the front court of Yi Tai Study Hall is paved with white stones, and is known as 'Pak Shek Hong' (White Stone Lane). The building is composed of two halls and one courtyard. In the front hall, the God of Wealth, the God of Literature and the Martial God are worshipped. The rear hall is a place for study.