Aberdeen was a traditional fishing village with a natural port and a typhoon shelter. Aberdeen Harbour still preserves the features of a fishing port nowadays. You can see fishing boats, together with traditional sampans , shuttling back and forth from time to time. Visitors can go for a ride on a sampan to cruise around the fishing port (remember to negotiate a price with the owner first). After that, you may as well pay a visit to Aberdeen centre, or roam in the shopping mall near the bus terminus to get a feel of life in this area.
Aberdeen Reservoir/Aberdeen Country Park
Built in 1931 and located on Aberdeen Reservoir Road, the Aberdeen Reservoir is one of the four major reservoirs supplying Hong Kong Island with fresh drinking water. The reservoir is split into an upper reservoir and a lower reservoir. Adjacent to Aberdeen Country Park, it is an ideal place of great scenic beauty for tourists. Since many of trees were destroyed or severely damaged during the occupation of Hong Kong by the Japanese Army, most of the existing trees were planted after the World War II. There is a tourist centre that provides information on the ecology, environment and history of the park. In addition, there are an exercise trail, a nature education trail and relics of the World War II.
Aberdeen Typhoon Shelter
Aberdeen was originally a traditional fishing village and the Aberdeen Typhoon Shelter has long been a refuge for local fishing vessels in times of heavy seas. It is a place where the tourists can have some fun by taking a ride on a sampan to cruise around the fishing port. Boats of various sizes not only rest in the Typhoon Shelter to escape from storms, they also swarm here during Chinese New Year and traditional festivals, such as the birthday of Tin Hau, who gave her generous blessing to the fishermen. The annual dragon boat races can also be seen here during the Dragon Boat Festival in each May or June. Traditionally, the ferocious races are intended to outcast evil and bring good fortune.
Located in Pok Fu Lam, Bethanie was built by the Missions Etrangeres de Paris in 1875 and was used by them as a sanatorium for almost a century.
In 2003, the Legislative Council approved capital works funds for the Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts to restore Bethanie and two neighbouring dairy Farm cowsheds as its associated campus.
After restoration, Bethanie is used by the Academy's School of Film and Television. In addition to educational facilities, Bethanie and the adjacent historic Dairy Farm cowsheds, now known as the Wellcome Theatre, house two performance venues, an exhibition hall, a chapel and a museum.
Hung Shing Temple at Ap Lei Chau
Located at Hung Shing Street in Ap Lei Chau, it is an ancient temple with the longest history in Aberdeen and Ap Lei Chau. The temple was built by local residents in 1733 (the 38th year of Emperor Qianlong in the Qing Dynasty). It is said that fishermen in Chencun, Shunde believed that their ability to sail far away to Hong Kong was the blessing of Hung Shing, the God of the Sea, so they engaged a Fung Shui specialist to find a good location in Ap Lei Chau to build the Hung Shing Temple to pray for safety.
In addition to serving the God Hung Shing, the temple is also a place to worship Guanyin and Guandi. A number of precious historical relics, such as an iron bell cast in the 38th year of Emperor Qianlong, an altar built in the 14th year of Emperor Guangxu and many pottery figurines of the Qing Dynasty are kept in the temple.
The temple was renovated in 1888 and 1973 and 1988, and more recently in 2005. On 13th of the second month in Lunar Calendar, i.e. the Birthday of Hung Shing, many costal residents crowd into the temple for worshipping.
The two well-known floating restaurants anchored in Sham Wan form an attractive feature of the Southern District. Tourists can taste the freshness of the seafood while enjoying the picturesque scene at sunset when the sea reflects the glamorous decorative lights embellishing the vessels. Tourists can get there, free of charge, by shuttle boat from Aberdeen Promenade or from Shum Wan pier.
Ocean Park, with an area of 87 hectares, is the largest entertainment centre in Southeast Asia. Stretching from Nam Long Shan to Wong Chuk Hang, it embraces an exciting array of thrill-rides. Tourists can travel up to the headland by cable car, Ocean Express, or via the second longest outdoor escalator in the world. The main attraction is perhaps the world-class Atoll Reef Grand Aquarium which provides underwater views of a fabulous variety of marine life. You can also enjoy wonderful shows involving sea creatures in the Ocean Theatre. In addition, Bird Paradise, Butterfly House, and Amazing Asian Animals are also good places for learning about natural ecology. Visitors to Ocean Park can also see An An, Jia Jia, Ying Ying and Le Le. The four adorable pandas presented to the citizens of Hong Kong by the Central Government are endangered animals under protection.
Many new facilities have now been opened in Ocean Park. The Park offers the latest and the most thrilling amusement rides and the opportunities for unforgettable encounters with rare and exotic animals.
Old Stanley Police Station
The Old Stanley Police Station, which stands at the far end of Stanley Main Street, is a declared statutory monument. Built in 1859, it was one of the six earliest police stations in Hong Kong. As the other five have been dismantled, it has become the oldest building of the Police Force as well as one of the oldest English style buildings in Hong Kong. Therefore, it has been declared a statutory monument in 1983.
It is said that the area around Stanley Police Station was one of the toughest battlefields in 1941, when Hong Kong attempted to fend off the Japanese invasion. Afterwards, the Hong Kong Police Force took over the building until 1974 when the building served as office for several Government departments. It is now a supermarket.
Pat Kan Uk
Pat Kan Uk is located at the eastern side of Stanley Bay and consisted of a row of eight houses. It was told that the government had to recover the land in Wong Ma Kok to develop barracks in the earlier days. A terrace of eight houses was built as replacement flats for residents. Pat Kan Uk is distinctive with its traditional Chinese architectural characteristics, which integrates with the nearby environment and creates a suitable site for quiet recreation.
There are still residents living in Pat Kan Uk. Visitors are advised not to trespass on the private premises so as to avoid nuisance.
Pok Fu Lam Reservoir/Pok Fu Lam Country Park
Pok Fu Lam Reservoir is surrounded by natural beauty. The winding footpath in the bosket of Pok Fu Lam provides many walking trails. Tourists may walk along the trails to Aberdeen from Central.
The Repulse Bay complex located at 109 Repulse Bay Road, formerly the Repulse Bay Hotel, was a structure strongly featuring European style and combining a reminiscent and elegant atmosphere into a refreshing garden scene. The exterior wall was designed to harmonize with it surroundings. The complex has since been redeveloped into a top-class food and shopping arcade, providing an excellent recreational destination for both citizens and tourists alike.
Shek O Country Park
Shek O Country Park forms a major part of the Cape D'Aguilar Peninsula. It commands a distant view of the boundless sea to the southeast. The park also includes the 7th section of the Hong Kong Trail, along which tourists can fully enjoy the winding coastline of Tai Tam Bay. The track along the transverse mountain ridge (Dragon's Back), although rougher, provides the best vintage points to overlook Shek O. Dragon's Back was selected "2010 Best Walking Trail" by HK Magazine in 2010.
Stanley and its markets
For more than 30 years, the Stanley Market has been a famous tourist attraction. There are innumerable shops and stalls in the market offering all kinds of goods at appealing prices. Here you may fully enjoy the fun of haggling. Stanley Main Street lies alongside the market. Many open-air restaurants and bars are available along the coast.
Stanley Blake Pier
Blake Pier was named after the 12th Governor of Hong Kong. The design had made use of the old Blake Pier roof, transferred from Morse Park where it had resided since being dismantled from its original position in Central in 1965. The roof style is related to the adjacent Murray House’s traditional tile roof, which has a similar architectural style and historical value. The reinstatement works provides an opportunity for the roof to be put back to its original use, maximizing it heritage value and ensuring the new pier to blend harmoniously with its surroundings and enhance the local characteristics and ambience of Stanley.
Besides, a ferry service between Stanley and Po Toi has come into operation since September 2007. After an excursion to Po Toi, what better way to end the day than dining in Murray House or enjoying the beautiful sunset on the Stanley promenade?
Stanley Main Street ("Bar" Street)
Along Stanley Main Street stand a mix of laid-back eateries that provide spectacular view and various styles of cuisine, from alfresco dining to oriental favourites. You may have a drink with your friends at an open-air cafe or enjoy a pleasurable meal along the coast.
Stanley Plaza/Murray House
The Stanley Plaza comprises a large shopping centre, the nostalgic European style Murray House and the Village Square adjoining the seafront promenade. Murray House, in particular, is one of the oldest buildings in Hong Kong, originally built in the Central and Western District and dismantled to make way for the construction of the Bank of China in 1982 when its bricks were removed piece by piece for later reconstruction in Stanley. Now it has become a local landmark.
Murray House steps into the 21st Century with an entirely new face and distinguishes itself as a building combining nostalgic style and modern characteristics. In the hall, there is an exhibition room showing various precious heritages and pictures pertaining to the history of Murray House, allowing citizens and tourists to better understand its historic background.
Tai Tam Country Park
Tai Tam Country Park covers a huge swathes of Hong Kong Island, to the north stretching from Kornhill, to the south joining with the continuous mountains around the Stanley Mound, to the west adjacent to Wong Nai Chung Road and to the east facing Tai Tam Road. It occupies more than 1,300 hectares, approximately 1/5 of the total area of Hong Kong Island. The whole Tai Tam Reservoir area is included in the park. Mountain paths suitable for walking are adorned with flourishing trees and surrounded by beautiful landscapes. However, the tracks around Violet Hill, the Twins and Lo Fu Hill are altogether rougher. In addition, there lies the well-known Sir Cecil's Ride running through Wong Nai Chung Road and Mount Parker Road. Interlacing walking trails criss-cross the park and have different starting points for tourists to choose at their will. It is a good place for both serious hill walkers and families.
Natural bushes bloom on the hills and in the valleys. Melastoma, White Popinac, Ivy Tree, Machilus, Hong Kong Camellia and various species of local orchid can all be found here.
Tai Wong Ye Temple at Wong Chuk Hang
Located in Heung Yip Village, Nam Long Shan Road, Wong Chuk Hang, the temple was rebuilt on a piece of land granted by the government in 1982, where the statue of Tai Wong Ye was discovered during the early years of the century. White wall and golden tiles characterize the Tai Wong Ye Temple at Wong Chuk Hang. The exterior walls of this concrete structure were inlaid with various porcelain pictures expressing religious dedication. The overall architectural style of the temple is quite modern. In the main hall sits the statue of Tai Wong Ye, which is approximately 2 feet high. The original statue is placed in a shrine. In the presbyterium is the Ancestor's Temple, which accommodates ancestral tablets.
Tin Hau Temple at Aberdeen
The Tin Hau Temple, located at 182 Aberdeen Main Road, was founded by the fishermen of Aberdeen in 1851 (the first year of Emperor Xianfeng in the Qing Dynasty).
Tin Hau is the Goddess most worshipped by coastal residents, especially in Guangdong and Fujian Provinces. Before setting off, the fishermen will come to the Tin Hau Temple to burn joss sticks and pray for luck. When they return fruitfully, they will then come to requite Tin Hau for her kindness. Most Tin Hau temples are built against the hillside, near the shore facing the sea, for the convenience of the fishermen and so it was with the Aberdeen Tin Hau Temple. However, as a result of land reclamation and development, the Aberdeen Tin Hau Temple is now far away from the coast and surrounded by bustling streets. The temple has preserved a number of historical relics of the Qing Dynasty, especially notable is a copper bell cast in 1726 (the 4th year of Emperor Yongzheng in the Qing Dynasty), which was acquired by fishermen and donated to the temple. The 23rd of the third month in Lunar Calendar is the Birthday of Tin Hau when many joss sticks are burned in the temple. The Birthday is also further celebrated by lion dancing and feasting. In 1961, when Princess Alexandra visited Hong Kong, she also paid a visit to the temple.
Tin Hau Temple in Stanley
When you walk along Stanley Main Street, the Tin Hau Temple first built in 1767 will come into your view. During the Second World War, it provided refuge for local villagers. Since then, there is flourishing incense on the 23rd of the third month of the Lunar Calendar, the birthday of Tin Hau.
The Hong Kong Correctional Services Museum
The Hong Kong Correctional Services Museum, opened at the end of 2002, is near to Stanley Prison. There are 10 exhibition rooms in the museum, including one mock gallows and 2 mock cells with over 600 items on display, detailing the penal system of Hong Kong over the past 160 years.
The Old Aberdeen Police Station/Warehouse
The Warehouse is known to most of the youngsters living in the Southern District. This youth centre provides a gathering site for teenagers. However, it has a long history as a police station and was the earliest police station established in the Southern District beside of Stanley Police Station. This two-storey building of red bricks built in 1891 is situated on a hill near the seashore along Aberdeen Main Road. It consists of report rooms, offices and police dormitories, etc.
Enquiries: 2873 2244 (The Warehouse)
The Stanley Military Cemetery
Located in Wong Ma Kok Road, the Stanley Military Cemetery was established in the Early Colonial Period for deceased soldiers of the British garrison stationed in Hong Kong and their family members. This is also the final place of the victims of World War II, including members of the Hong Kong Volunteer Defence Corps and British Army Aid Group.
During World War II, the British Army Aid Group was active in Japanese held territory in China, helping prisoners to escape from the camps, providing drugs to prisoners and collecting military information. They also provided refuge to soldiers of the American airmen whose planes had been shot down in the occupied areas and helped them escape. The members of the British Army Aid Group buried there were those who were killed after being arrested for their dedication to such activities.
With its beautiful scenery, the Stanley Military Cemetery has become an ideal place for taking photos.
Situated at 144 Pok Fu Lam Road, the University Hall is a 3-storey Neo-Gothic building on a verdant hill. Built in the period of Governor Hercules Robinson (1862-1866), it was originally named Douglas Lapraik and specially structured with square-shaped pillars and long verandahs. The University of Hong Kong converted it into a student dormitory and renamed it the University Hall in 1956. In 1995, the Hong Kong Government declared it as a statutory monument. Having a history of over 140 years, the castle's structure still stands as yesterday and has become a unique landmark in Pok Fu Lam and even the whole Southern District.