Hau Ku Shek Ancestral Hall
Situated in Sheung Shui, it is the ancestral hall of the Hau clan in Ho Sheung Heung. Records in the Hau clan history say that the construction of the hall began in the Ming Dynasty with a donation from Hau Ku Shek, and was completed in the 27th year of Qianlong of the Qing Dynasty (1762). The ancestral tablets of different generations are kept in the hall for worshiping by their descendants. It is a three-hall building and the second hall is the place for worship. The spacious ancestral hall is also used to hold village gatherings. The hall was declared a monument in 2003.
Enquires: 2671 9661 (Ho Sheung Heung Village Office)
Liu Man Shek Tong Ancestral Hall
Located in Sheung Shui Village, Liu Man Shek Tong Ancestral Hall is undoubtedly one of the territory's biggest ancestral halls and one of the finest traditional Chinese buildings. Built in 1751, it is the Liu clan's main ancestral hall in Sheung Shui. The name Man Shek, which literally means 10,000 shi (a unit of measure for grain), dates back to the Song Dynasty (960-1279). It is said that the clan's remote ancestor Liu Kong and his four sons were all senior government officials, totally earning an annual salary of 10,000 shi, from which the ancestral hall derives its name.
Enquiries: 2670 1229 (Sheung Shui Village Office)
Tsung Pak Long Hakka Walled Village
Built in the early 19th century, it is one of the best-preserved walled villages in the New Territories. Constructed with solid blue bricks on granite foundations, the walls stand 10 feet high and served to protect the Wong clan from bandits during the early years of their settlement there.
Wun Chuen Sin Koon
This Taoist temple is located on Ping Che Road in Ping Yeung Village of Ta Kwu Ling. The temple's beautiful landscape is interspersed with lotus ponds, traditional bridges, miniature gardens and exquisite carvings. The temple keeps a wonderful luck basin. When the handles of the basin are rubbed, tiny water droplets are expelled and sometimes a mini spring is formed. Every year, the temple holds a large-scale chrysanthemum show in autumn which attracts many visitors.
Enquiries: 2674 2194
Tin Hau Temple
The temple was built in early Qing Dynasty and is situated at Ping Che Road in Ping Che Village of Ta Kwu Ling. Two buildings have been built adjacent to the temple; they are the Ping Yuen Community Hall on the right and the Sing Ping She Memorial Hall on the left.
Every year, neighbouring villages join together to hold traditional ceremonies to celebrate Tin Hau's birthday. The celebration activities last for a few days and one of the items is the staging of Cantonese opera.
Cheung Shan Temple
Situated at the foothills of Wo King Shan in Ping Che of Ta Kwu Ling, Cheung Shan Temple was built some two hundred years ago for worshipping the Buddha. The name of the temple is engraved above the front door. Inside there is a courtyard and a short flight of steps leading to the main hall. There are side halls on both sides of the main hall.
According to the old villagers of Ta Kwu Ling, the temple was built jointly by six nearby villages to improve Fung Shui. It is found in the records that the temple was once a stopover location for travellers heading north for Guangzhou and students setting off for the imperial examinations. The most recent comprehensive restoration of the temple took place in 1997 and it was declared a monument the year followed.
Kang Yung Study Hall
It is one of the few old style study halls remaining in Hong Kong. Standing in Sheung Wo Hang Village of Sha Tau Kok for more than one hundred and twenty years, the study hall is a two-storey building of two-hall type, having a courtyard in the middle. The lower storey was divided into study rooms and a teachers' room. The mezzanine was used as a dwelling for boarding students. In the mid-20th century, the study hall was converted into a village primary school. As the number of students gradually decreased, the school was closed in the summer of 1986 after the graduation of the last group of students. In April 1991, Kang Yung study Hall was declared a monument in recognition of its historical significance.
Enquiries: 2721 2326 (Antiquities and Monuments Office)
Yim Tso Ha Egretry, Sha Tau Kok
The Yim Tso Ha Egretry is outside the country park, but it is scheduled under the Wild Animals Protection Ordinance. Entering the egretry is not allowed from April to September every year, so that birds are not disturbed during the breeding season. The Chinese Pond Herons, Little Egrets and Cattle Egrets regularly nest there. Some pairs of the rare Swinboe's Egrets also nest there. Since 1972, a small number of Night Herons have become annual visitors. Visitors may view the activities of the birds in the forest with binoculars. The egretry is situated along Sha Tau Kok Road, near the border of Mainland China where it meets the coast of Mirs Bay. The scenery there is really good.
Shek Lo is situated in the east of Tsung Kyam Church. It was built in 1936 by Mr Tsui Yan-sou, the founder of Wah Yan College. The two-storey building is an integration of Chinese and Western architectural styles with a lawn at the front. Despite its colonial characteristics, the building has a traditional Chinese pitched roof supported on round fir purlins and timber battens with Chinese clay tiles. Another major feature is its courtyard and room layout, which is modelled on the layout of traditional Chinese residence. In the middle of the parapet of the roof, there is a semi-circular brick wall engraved with the name "Shek Lo".
It is a private property and is not open to the public.
Tang Chung Ling Ancestral Hall
Situated in the east of Lo Wai, Tang Chung Ling Ancestral Hall is the main ancestral hall of the Tang clan in Lung Yeuk Tau. The hall was built in the early 16th century in memory of Tang Chung Ling, the founding ancestor. It is a three-hall building with the "dong chung" placed at the central hall. The real hall has three chambers. The central chamber houses the soul tablets of the ancestors of the clan including those of the Song princess surnamed Zhao and her husband Wai-kip whose posthumous title was Jun-ma (husband of an imperial relative). The soul tablets were elaborately carved with dragon heads, distinguishing their superior imperial status. The chamber to the left is dedicated to the ancestors who made significant contributions to the clan or those who achieved high ranks in the Imperial Court. The chamber to the right is dedicated to the righteous members of the clan.
The whole building is exquisitely decorated with fine wood carvings, polychrome plaster mouldings, and murals of auspicious motifs, fully reflecting the superb craftsmanship of the old days.
Situated in the west of Tang Chung Ling Ancestral Hall, Lo Wai is the first walled village built by the Tang clan of the area. It is built on a small hill and is enclosed by brick walls on four sides. The original village entrance faced the north, but was relocated later to face the east in order to achieve better "fung shui". The narrow entrance was meant to facilitate the defence of the village. Next to the entrance is a well, which used to be the water supply for the village. The houses inside the village are arranged orderly. A raised platform was built on the north wall to function as a watchtower. In January 1997, Lo Wai was declared a monument. A comprehensive restoration was undertaken in 1998-1999.
Tin Hau Kung
Tin Hau Kung is situated between Tang Chung Ling Ancestral Hall and Lo Wai. The construction date is unknown. However, according to the village elders, the temple was constructed earlier than Tang Chung Ling Ancestral Hall. It underwent comprehensive restoration in 1913 and 1981 respectively. The main hall of the temple is devoted to worshipping Tin Hau and her guards, Chin Lei Ngan (whose eyes could see things thousand miles away) and Shun Fung Yi (whose ears could hear sounds as far away as from heaven). Two bronze temple bells are placed on the floor of the left chamber, one of which was cast in 1695 as a gift from the Tang clan to thank Tin Hau after having their sons adopted by her. The other bell was cast in 1700 as an offering to Tin Hau so that the young men of the clan could be blessed during their journey to the city for taking the provincial examinations.
Fung Ying Seen Koon
Situated on the hillside opposite MTR East Rail Line Fanling Station, it was built in 1929 and is a major Taoist temple in Hong Kong. The temple spreads over a large area, with a magnificent main hall standing amidst numerous pavilions and towers. The large pavilion in the garden is a place where you can view the whole scene of Fanling. There are also small bridges and lovely flowerbeds which add to the enchantment.
Enquiries: 2669 2335
Kat O Tin Hau Temple
Kat O Tin Hau Temple is located at North East of the New Territories and was built in 1763. Being one if the most prestigious Tin Hau Temple, the Kat O Tin Hau Temple houses many elaborately crafted status. The shrines of the Tin Hau is in the middle of the main hall and to its left and right stand the statues of two guarding gods, one with super ears and the other with super eyes. Every year worshipers flock to the temple on the birthday of Tin Hau ( the 23rd day of the third lunar month) to pray for peace and prosperity.
Lung Yeuk Tau Heritage Trail
Lung Yeuk Tau Heritage Trail is situated at Fanling. Walking on the trail, visitors will see the "Five Wai (walled villages)" and "Six Tsuen (villages)" and a number of other traditional constructions. Lung Yeuk Tau is so named because it is located near Lung Yeuk Ling, the area where the Tang clan lives. The Tangs are one of the five great clans of the New Territories. In the late Southern Song Dynasty, when a princess was married to a man from the Tangs, they moved to Lung Yeuk Tau and started to develop the village. The present "Five Wai" and "Six Tsuen" have been gradually established since then. The Tang Chung Ling Ancestral Hall is the Tangs' ancestral hall in Lung Yeuk Tau. The whole building is exquisitely decorated with fine wood carvings, polychrome plaster mouldings, pottery sculptures and murals of auspicious motifs, fully reflecting the superb craftsmanship of the old days. The central chamber houses the soul tablet of the Song princess surnamed Zhao, which is elaborately carved with dragon heads to emphasize her superior imperial status. Regarding other constructions in Lung Yeuk Tau such as Tin Hau Kung, Lo Wai and San Wai, they have all been properly preserved. Visitors may have a look at the walled villages from the old days.
Long Valley Wetland
Long Yuen Wetland is the largest remaining freshwater wetland in the north New Territories where some 210 species of birds have been recorded.
Lai Chi Wo
Lai Chi Wo is the largest Hakka Village in the north-east New Territories and is on the opposite side of Kat O Island. In its auspicious period, there were more than one hundred households in Lai Chi Wo. Houses are built with green bricks and clay tiles in an orderly arrangement that is enclosed by a curved-shape village wall.
Po Sang Yuen Bee garden
Po Sang Yuen Bee Garden, with more than 60 years of history, is located at Fanling. Honey produced in the garden is well known for its naturalness and purity, as well as its innate fragrance. In order to let visitors familiarize with the process of housing bees and generating honey, there will be specialists giving out explanations and videos to be shown.
Address: 8 Wu Tip Shan Road, Fanling.
Produce Green Foundation
Produce Green Foundation is a registered non-profit making charitable organization that aims to promote organic farming, environmental friendly technology and green livelihood.
The Reunification Garden was opened on 4 October 2009. The North District Council established the Reunification Garden to mark the historic occasion of the local community in the New Territories greeting the then in-coming Garrison during the small hours on 1 July 1997. The main feature of the Reunification Garden is a set of street sculptures to commemorate the reunification day when the local community presented a plaque to the platoon commander. There is also a memorial wall setting out the background against which the Garden is built and an extract of celebration events that were organized by the nine districts in the New Territories 800 days before the reunification day.